Blog of a Million Dreams

Monday, September 28, 2009

Shirley Valentine

Just saw the movie "Shirley Valentine" with my friend, Paulina. I checked out the movie from the local library (free, baby, free!) along with "Pineapple Express", "Anthony Robbins" and "Stranger than Fiction".

We decided to watch "Shirley Valentine".

It came out in 1989 and I remember attempting to watch it many years ago. The talking-to-herself main character really turned me off, and I never finished the movie. My friend, however, swore it was a GREAT FILM, so I thought I'd give it another try.

She was right. If you just get through the initial grumblings of this main character, Shirley Valentine, and hang in there until she arrives in Greece, it's a really good movie.

Even the fact that the movie is, what, 20 years old doesn't matter. The struggles and thoughts that Shirley Valentine goes through as she attempts to break out of a rut, recharge herself and her life and recapture her dreams are still relevant today. Perhaps even more relevant today.

The scenery is beautiful. The story is realistic. The characters are realistic. And the clothes, boats and snippets of Greek life are charming.

Thumbs up!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home