Blog of a Million Dreams

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Whitey

So, I teach in a low income, low performing school-about 99% hispanic.

And, despite my nom de plume, I am not a true Santos or Garcia or anything else. In fact, my true last name is a lot closer to say, Smith or Jones.

Last week I met with a student's mom...let's call the student "Juan". Juan had been swearing in class, saying some pretty bad things.

Today in class I mentioned to Juan that I had met with his mother, and probably would again if he didn't stop swearing in class.

He told me that his mother mentioned to him that she had met with me also.

"Good!", I said. "I hope she explained to you that your language is socially unacceptable."

"Well," he replied, "She told me that you were the whitest person she'd ever met."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home