Blog of a Million Dreams

Friday, October 02, 2009

Olympics

Okay, call me a traitor but I totally get why the Olympic Committee selected Rio de Janeiro as the host city for the 2016 Olympics.

From what I understand the choices were Spain, Rio de Janeiro and Chicago.

I mean, Chicago? C'mon.

No offense, and I should disclose that I've never even been to Chicago.

But seriously. Imagine you are on the committee and from some boring old place like, oh I don't know, Iceland or something.

You are planning on attending the 2016 Olympics and you want to select a city that you'd like to visit.

Chicago? Cold, windy, busy. Maybe you could stop over, if you have time, and sit in on Oprah's show. Other than that, committee members probably visualize themselves hunched over a beer in a cozy pub.

So, it was no surprise to me that Chicago was dismissed early in the process.

Because, after picturing themselves slouched over a beer, committee members then imagined themselves running around Spain, trying to fit in a siesta. A little more appealing than the beer, but not that much more exciting.

Okay, then visualize yourself in Rio. Aside from the slums, Rio has done a pretty good job of marketing the city as a topless beach town with beautiful women and good food.

So, I think, the decision was a no-brainer. Really, Obama could've saved himself the trip out to the committee. I mean, c'mon, a vacation in Chicago versus a vacation in Rio? Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home