Blog of a Million Dreams

Monday, January 10, 2011

The Art of Eating In

Or..."How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove"...

When I first started reading this book, even just when I reached for the title, I rolled my eyes.

C'mon, is this another spoiled moron who just discovered the stove? Some over priviliged prick who spends all their time as a pretentious fool wasting their life in restaurants or over a bar, getting soused.

Yes, there is some of that in this book. The author, Cathy Erway, is a New Yorker, after all.

But I really enjoyed this book anyway.

It describes her personal growth, from a nubile teen with a self centered, buy-it-or-it's-not-worth-it kind of lifestyle to a genuine grownup who actually knows how to turn on her oven.

I liked her description of Supper Clubs...although I did have to keep banishing thoughts of San Francisco's hidden gay bath houses because that's what some of the Supper Club descriptions reminded me of...but the Supper Clubs sounded creative, individual and interesting. Yes, they were a little elitist, but hey, Cathy's in New York...that's what New York is all about.

The cooking shows sounded fun. It was nice to read of someone who found her passion and went for it. And I really liked how she used her bike to get around the city. Wait to go girl! I really admire that spirit. I live in California, the land of the mammoth SUV and it's nice to know that someone can survive with just a bike.

Interspered with descriptions of recipes, roommates, jobs and transportation, Cathy also details the plight of the Single Gal. And no, it's nothing like Sex In the City. Her dates are actually pretty nice but it's clear that if you want to get married, have a relationship or just a decent date, don't move to NYC.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home