Blog of a Million Dreams

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Black Swan

I'm starting my next book.

It looks promising.

The title is "The Black Swan" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb and it looks interesting with a promise of an explanation of some explosive past events (Google, 9/11, to name a few). It's on the New York Times Bestseller List and I found it in the popular new books section of my local library. Which means I have a week in which to read it.

The premise is that when huge events happen, huge 'anamolies', if you will, humans aren't hardwired to expect it because we always look for specifics, not generalities or patterns. On the cover the author promises to explain the impact of the highly improbable.

I think that it is true that humans get thrown for a loop when things happen out of our context, culture and perspective. This book seems to be along much of the same lines as Daniel Pink's books, Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" and some others.

But I know I will find it interesting. I seem to be on this kick to read more textbook-ie books this year, for whatever reason...more of a journalists take on the world...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home